Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Nielsen's Frozen Custard- Objects in Mirror Closer than they Appear

Usually I'm a pretty hungry person. So when I walk into a restaurant and after I stare in awe at the menu items I usually ask the person taking the order: "What I can I get that has the most amount of food and the least amount of cost?"  and usually they will hit it spot on.

Just the other day my friend Colleen Johnson and I went to Nielsen's Frozen Custard located right across from Porter Park. The logo, black, white and red tiles make you feel like you're back in a 1970's diner -all that that is lacking is the jukebox- but the sport jerseys on the wall and constant flow of ESPN from their flat screen brings it back to the 2010's. 

So when I asked them my famous food question, after Colleen ordered, we took our seats at our booth and waited for the food to be brought out. Soon our 2 grinders; her's a turkey and avocado and mine a turkey, avocado and cream cheese, were placed in front of us. When I laid eyes on the 8" grinders and side of fries I was worried that this food wasn't exactly going to fill me up. I ate my hot of the fryer fries hoping to get full off them and then the sandwich, then something strange happened, I became full. I guess this waitress knew what she was doing. The grinder was the thing that hit the spot, semi chewy white bread, fresh veggies, savory meat and the touch of salt, pepper and oil and vinegar and not to mention the avocado all hit the spot without going overboard.

With booths for your friends or a table for two with that special person, menu items ranging from sandwiches to concretes (there version of Dairy Queens Blizzard's only with fresh custard) and all the sports you want Nielsen's is a good stop if you just want a quick frozen treat or to fill up for the evening.

$$: $7 for a full meal or ~$4 for a concrete

Date Ideas: Group date is best, then you can fill in the big booths in each corner OR grab some custard after that barefoot walk in the park.

Return Value: How much do you like custard?

No comments:

Post a Comment